Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:02:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sandbox??

:I run BIND in a sandbox on my 3.2-R and 4.0-C systems and it works great.
:Rather than setting up a non-standard chroot() area I just kept
:/etc/namedb around, did a 'chgrp bind /etc/namedb', 'chmod 774
:/etc/namedb', and added a 'pid-file "/etc/namedb/named.pid";' entry to
:named.conf so named wouldn't need access to /var/run.
:
:Mike Hoskins
:<mike@adept.org>

    Ouch, I wouldn't do that!  Leave the files and directories that named
    only reads owned by root and modes 644 or 755.  Only files and directories
    that named *writes* needs to be owned by the sandbox... that usually means
    the secondary zone directory, which I usually create a subdirectory for.

    For the same reason, named and its support binaries should be owned by
    root even if run as user bind.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>