Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:00:59 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Bryan-TheBS-Smith" <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Adding 3ware RAID AFTER FBSD has been installed

> Kory Hamzeh wrote:
> > What I'm trying to say is that the ARCO can be installed
> > in a system that is already configured with an operating
> > system since it is transparent and does not change the
> > drive geometry (it only supports RAID 1).
>
> Oh, so what it is is a mirroring "bridge" because you are still
> using the on-board/system IDE controllers?  Very cool.  In fact, I
> wondered if anyone was going to do something like that.  I also
> assume that you have to use two of the exact same drives?

It is a kind of a bridge. You connect the ARCO RAID controller to you IDE
controller, and then you connect the two  (or four) drives to the ARCO
controller. The system IDE controller will only see one drive. If you hook
up four drive to the ARCO, the first two drives will be the Master Primary
and Mirror, and the second two drives will be the Slave primary and master.
In such a case, the system will see two IDE drive, one master and one slave.
Its very nifty.

No they don't have to be the exact same drive. The drive the system will see
will be the size of the smaller of the primary/mirror pair.

> BTW, how much do they cost?

They are very reasonable priced: http://www.arcoide.com/inddupl2.htm. There
is about 6 different physical configurations of the controller. I know a
person that run this controller with Open/BSD without any problems. They
could add the parallel reads fairly easily (of course, I don't know the
hardware internals, I'm only guessing here).

Kory