Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:04:29 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "stephane antoine" <stephane.antoine@kcl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wlan 802.11 support for FreeBSD 4.2

> From: "stephane antoine" <stephane.antoine@kcl.ac.uk>
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:47:02 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Dear all,
>
> Does anybody know if there
> is a support for wlan 802.11 for
> FreeBSD 4.2 ?
>
> I have a 802.11 card plugged in my laptop
> and I am running FreeBSD 4.2.
> I only have the following interfaces when I type
> ifconfig -a
> fxp0(eth), lp0, faith0, gif0, gif1, gif2, gif3, lo0, ppp0, sl0,
> and no wireless interface as I am expecting.
> Does anyone know if there is currently
> a driver available for Wlan 802.11
> for freeBSD 4.2?

The WaveLAN 802.11 cards have been supported for some time. I am
sending this message from my laptop via a Lucent Gold 802.11b card.

Your message contains no information to help you find the problem.

What messages do you get when you plug in the card? It should be
probed and the wi0 device created.

Do other PCMCIA cards work? If not, you need to make sure the pcic0
device may not be properly configured. Send dmesg contents. Make sure
rc.conf contains pccard_enable="YES" and pccardd_flags="-z".

If you get messages when you insert the card, please send them.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)