Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 01:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface alias accounting?

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Michael R. Wayne wrote:
> BSD/OS does this per interface right on the box, FreeBSD seems not to.
> We've been trying for several months to get a straight answer
> regarding FreeBSD, nobody seems to know whether it's a bug, oversight
> or what.

Looking at src/sys/net/if_var.h should make it clear that this is a
feature since 'struct if_data' is hung off of 'struct ifnet' and not off
of 'struct ifaddrhead' (ifaddr).

Moving 'struct if_data' from 'struct ifnet' to 'struct ifaddr' is left as
an exercise for the reader.  Keep in mind that it would probably be good
to leave a 'struct if_data' in 'struct ifnet' for compatibility.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |