Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 13:05:52 +0200
From:      Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for log-parsing + rotating?

Hello.

I'm wondering about how I'll be doing rotation and parsing (Webalizer etc.)
of some logfiles on my FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE box. Currently, log-rotation is
done by newsyslog(8). Is there any easy way I can do log-parsing right
after the logfiles have been rotated?
Should I comment out the newsyslog-call from /etc/crontab and make my own
wrapper-script? Or are there any "hooks" somewhere that will allow me to
start some command/script after the logfiles have been rotated? Or should I
just make a cronjob that triggers 5 minutes after newsyslog and assume that
newsyslog has done its job?

I have tried looking through the documentation, but couldn't find any
_good_ way of doing this. I could of course just hack something together,
but I'm wondering which way people suggest I do it.

--
Eivind Olsen
eivind@aminor.no