Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:56:16 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        vegacap@i.com.ua, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/irc/xchat Makefile

On Monday 01 July 2002 11:24 am, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
= > =   Add a WITH_PYTHON knob.
= >
= > Thanks! This reminds me of the the textproc/libxml2 and
= > textproc/libxslt, which require Python by default, and should, IMO,
= > be reverted to making the use of Python optional. This ports are
= > required by both KDE and Gnome, which are general purpose desktop
= > environments and do not otherwise need Python to function, AFAIK.
=
= This is wrong. GNOME2 core bits (libglade2) require libxml2 with
= Python support, so that if Python support will be opt-in it would be
= impossible to build GNOME2 packages on bento or on user's machine
= without WITH_PYTHON flag being set explicitly.

I see. May be, it is time for slave no-python port for this things,
for KDE (and others?).

= > If the maintainers do not object, I can pull the switch myself at
= > some point.
=
= Don't Do That[tm] (see above).

Ok, thanks for the prompt response.