Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 02:56:23 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Losing BSD at the end of my disk. Boot expert required.

Hello,
Due to a moment or 7 of braindeadness I just cocked up a
what should have been a straightforward matter.
I am exploring BSD (or will be). On the system I want to use
I have some Linux partitions on the low 8 Gigs, and have installed
BSD on the high 8 gigs.
I chose to let the installation install the BSD boot loader, because
I recalled it once quite cleverly for me installed itself and
gave one of the boot options as my Linux system.
Alas I think the last system I tested this on was not set up
quite the same as this one.
Anway, i rebooted and got the BSD prompt, sure enough it would
call Lilo to boot Linux (though lilo had lost my configuration somewhere,
but that is not an issue here), but when I choose the option to boot BSD
it squeaked at me in a most unfriendly manner.

I know zip about the BSD loader, I cannot adjust Lilo to deak with BSD ..
too far away into the disk >1024, and my Bios is too old to support the
LBA mode of lilo.
Now, can BSD boot handle this ? I can mount the BSD partition under Linux;
does anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed then ? It doesnt
matter if I zap lilo from the boot sector, I can always get back to linux from
a boot disk.

Suggestions ?

thanks

Cliff