Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 15:41:54 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@segfault.kiev.ua>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thought about allocation of the first 1024th ports

 Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 15:58:48, mux wrote about "thought about allocation of the first 1024th ports":

> On most Unix systems and on FreeBSD, the first 1024th ports can't be allocated by a
> non-root process. As far as I know, this is justfied because services running on these

[skip]

> What I wonder now is if an application-independant mechanism to permit some ports below
> 1024 to be bound to sockets not owned by root processes would be useful. You assign in a

I had made patches to allow ACL for ports binding, tested for 3.3 and 4.0.
See http://www.lucky.net/~netch/unix/FreeBSD/portacl/
But it does not use any Posix.1e-compatible- or -inspired- API, but
has ipfw(8)-similar interface. If someone (rwatson?) can say what API style is
"ideologically approved", I can rewrite it.
Also it does not have English documentation (only Russian) yet.

/netch