Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:24:42 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual box to do cross-browser testing

John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com> wrote:

> Anyone have experience using Sun's "Virtual Box" on FreeBSD? I am
> looking for a way to run virtual Windows machines to do cross-browser
> testing...
>
> Don't need sound card or anything complex... if I can get it working
> good enough to have access to IE 6, 7, and 8 (with 3 different virtual
> boxes, probably), that would be enough for me.
>
> But before I jump through the hoops of setting up a new FreeBSD box and
> setting up this virtual box software, I'd like to hear how others have
> fared with this software.
>
> Any experience, much appreciated.

I've been using it for several months.  Older versions were a bit fussy,
but the latest seems to be really solid.

The only problem I have with it is that high graphic usage will basically
steal the VM away from the user (i.e. if I run a video inside a vbox
machine, I can't access the mouse until the video is done running).

Been running Windows WP inside a Virtual Box on FreeBSD 7.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com