Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:52:58 -0500
From:      Alex Ranaldi <axr7993@rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unlinking open files

Hello all,

From what I understand, if a file is open and deleted by the user (ie. an
apache log) problems will arise. For example, du and df will not display the
same value, as the kernel cannot free an open file. Even killing the process
using the file (in this case, Apache) will not help. Only a reboot seems to
solve the problem.

I'm new to FreeBSD & Unix in general, but I was wondering why the user is not
warned before deleting a file that is in use. This seems like a rather
trivial thing to do, although I'm probably wrong.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex Ranaldi
axr7993@rit.edu