Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:21:55 +0000
From:      "Carl Mark" <carlmarkbsd@hotmail.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   limiting connections

Hello folks,

I'm trying to set up a ruleset that limits every user to X tcp connections,
since I have 300 active users on each server. I've been trying to work it
out with the ipfw limit but I really don't know how effective it is.

For example:

ipfw -q add 15 allow tcp from me to any 80 limit dst-port X keep-state out
setup

Will this limit the whole machine to X connections that match the rule? I
wanted to build somehting that would limit every user to X conns without
having one rule for each user using the "uid" directive.

Thanks for your precious help.
Regards,
Carl