Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:11:48 -0600
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd Issues

Hey,
  What are the relevant lines of rc.conf, rc.firewall for you?  I see you
are using "alias_address", this _cannot_ be used in conjunction with the
"natd_interface" variable in the rc.conf file.  You should use one or the
other.  Also, if you are using the standard rc.firewall and you _don't_
have "natd_interface" defined, it won't add the divert rule.  A good
configuration would look kinda like this:

/etc/rc.conf:
firewall_type="open"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_quiet="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="de0"
natd_flags="-same_ports -use_sockets -dynamic" OR "-f <path_to_config_file>"

  I have noticed, and please someone explain why this is happening, that if
you have the following two lines (which are in the default rc.firewall),
the redirection of ports and addresses _WILL NOT WORK_:

$fwcmd add 100 pass all from any to any via lo0
$fwcmd add 200 deny all from any to 127.0.0.0/8

  To get it to work, I had to comment out these lines, or call a flush at
the beginning of a custom rc.firewall.local file, then re-add the divert
rule.  I haven't been able to figure out why these two rules ruin the natd
redirection, but it may be a bug...

Thanks,
Ben Gavin

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant