Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:32:51 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dunya@one.net.au (Oben O. Candemir)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

Various people wrote:

| I think this will be your last visit to -chat; you have nothing
| worth reading to contribute to it.

| I read chat and know it's an unrestricted, casual conversation sort
| of thing, but that doesn't mean I tolerate just any kind of noise.
| Oben Candemir earned a /dev/null entry in my procmailrc after about
| three postings.

| Every syllable that oozes from your mouth reflects badly on all
| newbies. Actions like yours are part of the cause of intolerance.

| Oh, come on. Eric Raymond may be a Linux zealot who for some reason
| is struck with utter blindness wrt BSD, but he's no idiot.

It seems rather mean-spirited to continue to attack someone in
public who has been denied the further means to defend himself.
(Assuming, that Jordan has had Oben excluded from the list, as
appeared to be his intention.)

Personally, I was appalled how quickly what began as a mostly-
reasonable suggestion was escalated (as much by a dismissive and
patronizing tone on the FreeBSD side as by any contribution from
Mr Candemir) to such a degree of unpleasantness.

This kind of thing does no-one credit; and blithely pretending the
faults were all on Mr Candemir's side is neither a particularly
constructive attitude, nor a markedly mature response, in the wake
of a regrettable incident.

--
Robert Nordier