Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2013 15:06:11 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd sshd entry in auth.log

On 2013-09-14 14:01, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Sep 13 12:43:24 albert sshd[43949]: fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer [preauth]

I see plentyu of these, if only because I test the sshd availablity with
nagios without actually going thru the full login...
I just abort once I see sshd report it's availability on the port.

Hence the 'reset by peer [preauth].'

Like DES says:
	Scanners generate more or less the same behavior.
They scan, and try to determine if you are running a vulnerable sshd or
something else they can work with....

I still have a wish on my todo to see if it is possible to report the
ipnr... And then block hosts with to many tries.
But it's not really high on the agenda...

--WjW