Date:      20 Jul 2002 00:49:19 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fp_install.sh error: 'FollowSymLinks' server configuration is not set

--=-MB/KHSpQdqJqT97RGusl

I'm getting the following error when attempting to run the fp_install.sh
command in setting up FrontPage Extensions for my apache 1.3x webserver:

Note: Local version of Apache must use the FrontPage Apache patch.
Starting install, port: 80.

Enter user password:=20
Confirm password:=20
Error: The top-level folder for web <Root Web> is a symbolic link and
the 'FollowSymLin
ks' server configuration is not set.
ERROR:  / installation failed.
Hit enter to continue

Exiting due to an error!  Please fix the error and try again.
#=20

This is what I have in my httpd.conf (I don't have any extra virtual
webs) for apache, serving the one website:

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/data"

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access, can be configured with
respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# permissions.
#
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "/usr/local/www/data">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options",
"FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
# Changed this for Frontpage Server Extension, as per installation notes
#    AllowOverride None
     AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit Indexes Options

#
[...]

    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#

Is anyone able to help me in solving this, please?

Stacey

--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer