Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 11:42:05 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>, "Dmitry V. Kalashnikov" <dvk@qwest.net>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dmitry V . Kalashnikov" <dvk@toolbuilders.com>
Subject:   Re: My perfect laptop!

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:26:40AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I think it just stores a copy of RAM, so you don't need (much more)
> space than the size of your RAM.  I don't know if FreeBSD supports
> suspend-to-disk.

Suspend-to-disk works fine with FreeBSD on a Sony VAIO Z505sx (Phoenix
BIOS).  In this case, the BIOS does as  you say -- it dumps the RAM to
a partition.  When you boot again,  it loads it back up.  It otherwise
behaves pretty much as suspend does.

> My issues with the ThinkPads are:
>
> 1.  I don't like the eraserhead pointer.  I suppose I could get used
>     to it, but it's an issue against it.

I just replaced my  Sony VAIO with a ThinkPad X20  (they are about the
same size/weight)  in part  because of disgust  with the  touchpad.  I
hate the damn  things, I always hit them with  my thumbs while typing,
sending my  cursor flying.   The IBM TrackPoint  is very  accurate and
doesn't get in the way.  The ThinkPad  X20 also has 3 mouse buttons --
woo hoo!

> 2.  All ThinkPads I have seen have the Fn key at bottom left where the
>     Alt key should be.  If it were anything else (Ctrl, for example),
>     it could be remapped, but you can't remap the Fn key.  Is this
>     still the case on your machine?

My bottom row starts out like:  Fn  Ctrl Alt Space ... Sometimes I hit
Fn when I meant  to hit Ctrl.  I find all keyboards  take some time to
get used to.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org