Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:45:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: TCP bug

> In trying to track down why some boxes in my network can't connect to
> certain WWW hosts, I determined that my FreeBSD is not routing the
> packets for some reason.  It's receiving them, and the firewall code
> *thinks* it's passing them on, but tcpdump doesn't see these packets go
> out on the wire.

I've got a router with 4 interfaces, both public and private, ipfw
and NATD, 2.2.7-stable and no problems.  I did have similar problems
as you're describing, and it turned out that some of the systems on
one network didn't have the correct netmasks set.  They were being
directed to the router, but the netmask was wrong and the router
didn't know what to do with them.

For instance, from network A I tried to ping a system on network
B.  Using tcpdump I could see the packets go through the router
from the network A interface, out the network B interface, and
then see the replies from the network B interface, and there they
would stop without going back to network A.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com