Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:19:49 +0100
From:      Manuel =?iso-8859-15?Q?St=FChn?= <freebsdnewbie@freenet.de>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: efi-loader ignores dtb files?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 02:35:26PM -0500, Kyle Evans wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 2:26 PM Manuel Stühn <freebsdnewbie@freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>> While trying to get FreeBSD 12.0 up and running on a NanoPI NEO2
>> (aarch64 Allwinner H5) I'm stumbling over issues with
>> loader/loader.conf.  FreeBSD starts fine, but it uses the
>> devicetree-blob provided by uboot/EFI. I've tried to load the FreeBSD
>> one by adding these lines to loader.conf:
>>
>> sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb_load="YES"
>> sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb_type="dtb"
>>
>> and put the dtb file into /boot/dtb/sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb, but this
>> did not work at all.  It got completely ignored by loader. The rest of
>> the file was read and applied correctly (kernel-modules i'd added for
>> testing purposes were loaded correctly).
>>
>> I tried to load it by hand like this:
>>
>> load -t dtb sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb
>>
>> which worked, the dtb file was loaded and used. After consulting
>> loader.conf(5) i found this way to load modules:
>>
>> dtbfile_load="YES"
>> dtbfile_type="dtb"
>> dtbfile_name="sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb"
>>
>> and this finally triggered loader(8) to actually load the dtb.
>> Unfortunatley the problem occurred again when i tried to add overlays.
>> Those are, again, not recognized at all:
>>
>> /boot/loader.conf:
>> fdt_overlays="sun50i-nanopi-neo2-codec.dtbo,sun50i-nanopi-neo2-sid.dtbo,sun50i-nanopi-neo2-ths.dtbo"
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>Yes- for your first problem, loader doesn't recognize a period as a
>valid module name, so those directives would not have gotten
>recognized as modules to load.
>
>I'm not sure off-hand why fdt_overlays were not recognized. I would
>drop to loader prompt and double check that it actually ended up in
>the environment, but I don't see any reason off-hand that it wouldn't.
>It might be a good idea to drop to loader prompt and trigger overlay
>application. No output at all?

Output right after the screen-cleaning:

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x8dec2b data=0x181cf8+0x7998d4
syms=[0x8+0x11dc60+0x8+0x11017c]
sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb.../boot/dtb/sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb
size=0x587a
/boot/entropy.../boot/entropy size=0x1000

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Using DTB from loaded file '/boot/dtb/sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb'.
EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
---<<BOOT>>---
Copyright (c) 1992-2018 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights
reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE #25 5e1256de69f(feature/NanoPI-NEO2)-dirty: Wed Mar
27 18:32:11 CET 2019
    root@nanopi-neo2:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC arm64
FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based on
LLVM 6.0.1)
VT: init without driver.
Starting CPU 1 (1)
Starting CPU 2 (2)
Starting CPU 3 (3)
[...]

>> BTW, is there a way to keep the u-boot logs printed before the
>> FreeBSD-boot-menu gets drawn? The console gets cleared and erases some
>> (valuable?) information. I was always to slow to stop the boot right
>> after the last line of u-boot and the first of EFI.
>
>Any reason you need to keep the loader menu?

Only for debugging puroposes. I would've liked to see what the output
was right before the screen got cleared. I tried to disable the menu
but this did now stop the clearing.

> Disabling it
>(beastie_disable="YES") and lack of password prompts will stop the
>screen clearing in recent-ish versions of the lua scripts from head.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kyle Evans

Thanks!

--