Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 17:51:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        fehr@idirect.com (Eric D. Fehr)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Errors w/Quantum drives (LVD), Ultra2SCSI, 3.1 & 3.2

Eric D. Fehr wrote...
> Has anyone else experienced ongoing hardware read errors with this
> configuration?
>
> We're getting it with four different drives (same model), 3 different SCSI
> cables (running at 80MB/second), 3 different motherboards (Gigabyte and
> ASUS, Adaptec 7890 controller), 3 different terminators (active), and it
> is really starting to annoy me:
>
> (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 1 b8 11 f 0 0 80 0
> (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1b8117c csi:18,21,58,1d asc:11,0
> (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): Unrecovered read error sks:80,98
>
> The only common denominators would appear to be the 7890 controller chip
> and the Quantum QM318000TD-SW drives.  The drives have 2 different
> firmware versions, and both appear to be equally effected.  This is
> happening under high load only.

In addition to heat or power problems (as others have mentioned), this
could just be bad blocks on the drives.  I do think it's pretty suspicous
that four different drives popped up with bad blocks at the same time,
though.

You'll want to make sure you've got read and write reallocation turned on.
To check that, look at mode page 1:

camcontrol modepage -v -n da -u 1 -m 1

To edit the AWRE and ARRE bits (set them to 1), you'd do:

camcontrol modepage -v -n da -u 1 -m 1 -e -P 3

That'll tell the drive to remap any bad blocks it runs into.  You may need
to write to the blocks to get the drive to remap them.

If you want to write to the block, you can use camcontrol to do it or you
can just dd over the entire disk.

You can look at the grown defects list using this command:

camcontrol defects -n da -u 1 -v -G -f phys

Most every drive I've seen supports the physical sector format, but Quantum
drives often support the block defect format as well:

camcontrol defects -n da -u 1 -v -G -f phys

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com