Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 14:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        kimc@w8hd.org (Kim Culhan)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

> On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Rashid Karimov. wrote:
>
> > 	After having a lot of problems with different
> > 	motherboards under FreeBSD I've switched to the
> > 	"editor's choice" - ASUS P54TP4 mb.,which was
> > 	recommended here by Jordan :)
> > 	Few problems went away ( like random reboots and
> > 	stuff), but oneremains consistent:
> >
> > 	the freaking system loks each and every day and
> > 	I think this is because of .... something related
> > 	to HD activity/driver/adapter/whatever.
> >
> > 	The system is P90,Adaptec 2940 PCI _SCSI adapter,
> > 	SMC EtherPower.
>
> I just setup an ASUS P55TP4XE with a 2940 and an EtherPower and no problem.
>
> Is a P54 and earlier version?

Well, sorta, sorta not.  The P54 was designed before socket 7 was speced,
it uses socket 5 (as do current production P55's).  Both are still current
production models, both are selling in very high volumes.  They came out
within 4 weeks of each other as far as initial product goes, so you can't
really say about ``earlier''.