Date:      Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:50:16 -0400
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modifying Sendmail's Configuration the Correct way.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Martin McCormick
<martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0The /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file very clearly tells one
> not to edit it directly so I edited the

Hey Martin, this might not be the exact answer you're looking for but
I despise sendmail but *love* FreeBSD so here are my $0.02:

1) edit your /etc/rc.conf

sendmail_enable=3D"NO"
sendmail_submit_enable=3D"NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable=3D"NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable=3D"NO"
postfix_enable=3D"YES"

2) cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix
make install clean

Play close attention to all messages, remember to regenerate the
aliases with newalias and let the script modify your mailer.conf to
enable postfix and say yes.

In case you forget here is my /etc/mail/mailer.conf

# Execute the Postfix sendmail program, named /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
#
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq   /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

then /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix start

Enjoy! http://www.postfix.org

There have been many requests to let us choose our favorite MTA for
the base system. It seems things are moving in that direction since
you will notice an option in the make config of the newer postfix
versions it says to install postfix in the base. Right now I would
avoid this, (other maybe other can comment more on this option) but
hopefully in the future those of use that don't like sendmail can
avoid it's use.

best,
Alejandro Imass