Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 1997 12:21:27 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pib comments.

In message <32CDA15E.784C@fsl.noaa.gov> Kelly writes:
: We're using Tcl/Tk as part of our modernization for the National Weather
: Service and it blows the wheels off of OI (sorry, Warner) and competes
: easily with Motif.  I've developed complex user interfaces with it for
: FreeBSD and they work amazingly fast.

We've had different experiences then.  Tk is pathologically
non-orthogonal which makes it hard to learn and hard to use.  Tcl
tends to be fairly slow, but generally fast enough for GUI things.  I
found that tcl/Tk were painfully slow on my 486 DX 33, but OI was
quite useable.  Oh well, different strokes for different folks I
guess.

The C++ compile time really sucked, however, which can make
development faster with tcl/Tk.  Too bad none of the gui builders for
it can hold a candle to ObjectBuilder :-).

Warner