Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 12:56:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD trademark.

> > As part of the ongoing "FreeBSD Project, Inc" project, we need to
> > trademark the name "FreeBSD".

It's new to me that an 'Inc.' is going to be founded. I always thought
it would be done in a more public way, like a 'consortium'.

I don't know if you have something like 'Verein' in the US. (whenever
two germans find together they found a 'Verein' :-). Sure you have but the
correct expression ecsaped me for the moment.

Anyway, some kind  of non-profit organisation - which does not exclude that
there are employees and treasurer and some worldwide funding being done -
is something IMO more preferable. Their could be a yearly convention, maybe
with changing location where the chairmen and treasurer are going to be
elected, there have to be bylaws and all that.
There also should be countrywise acting chapters.

Who will be the owner of the trademark? How can an 'Inc.' be controlled
by the FreeBSD community?

I don't like the idea if some company now takes off and says
'I own the trademark' . This would discourage many contributors
to invest their free time in such a project unless there is some
kind of control I mentioned before.

Beware, I don't suppose any bad thoughts with all people acting in the
game and I don't have any doubts in the honest intentions of any.

It's just the procedere and the form I would like to expose to discussion.

> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation Company                   Custom computers for FreeBSD

FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Wed Mar 22
04:54:59  1995     root@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386