Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2002 02:20:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange filesystem problem revisited...

Willie Viljoen wrote:
> For months, this problem seemed to dissapear, then yesterday, I
> reinstalled my windows partition (used mostly for games, so, used very
> seldom)
>
> This morning, when I got to the machine, the problem had returned. Could
> this have anything to do with the mounted FAT32 file systems? If so, why
> does it not appear when those FAT32s are mounted, but have nothing on
> them?

Most likely, the Windows partition overlaps the BSD partition,
or there is a difference in observed geometry between the BSD
and DOS view of the drive.  The other alternative is that it's
"just coincidence" (unlikely).

You didn't say what the box was.  If you enabled power management,
the BSD partition may be being used by the box as the "sleep"
partition (old IBM Thinkpad BIOS identified the first non-DOS
partition as the sleep partition, for example).  So turning on APM
may have caused the problems (also unlikely: generally, such an
occurance would render the FreeBSD partition unbootably corrupt).

-- Terry