Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:22:24 -0400
From:      "Matt Schwartz" <mschwartz@crosswinds.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gettytab

I created an entry in the gettytab file to allow getty to send an
initialization string to my modem and to sit and wait for a dialup
connection.  The modem picks up, however before initialization has been
completed, it hangs up.  I am having a hard time trying to find out why.
Here are my settings:

/etc/gettytab:
# I added this
std.dialup|38400 Dialup:\
	ic="" AT&F1E0Q0V1\r OK\r:ac=RING\r ATA\r CONNECT:np:sp#38400:

/etc/ttys:
# I added this
cuaa1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.dialup" dialup on insecure

The modem answers, almost completes negotiation, then dies.  I can't
understand why.  I think it might be that the modem on my FreeBSD server is
completing negotiation phase before the client because the dialup server
hangs up first.  Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks very much!