Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 17:06:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
To:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org (Mitsuru IWASAKI)
Cc:        wietse@porcupine.org, iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks!

Mitsuru IWASAKI:
> > > I thought the machine will pick up the <enter> key release event,
> >
> > When logged in over the network? When closing the display?
>
> When typed 'zzz<enter>' and release the <enter> key...

Let me clear this up before it gets out of hand.

When I am logged in over the network, there is no key release event
on the machine that receives the 'zzz<enter>'.  It just receives the
characters.

> > As I wrote in earlier email, the bug goes away when I remove the
> > modem and ethernet card.  However, doing so was not necessary with
> > FreeBSD 2.2.8.
> > Can anyone explain why FreeBSD must wake up prematurely when cards
> > are present, even without cables attached?
>
> It seems the features of some ThinkPad machines.  I've heard that NIC
> and Modem pccards cause problems on some TP.  I think you can find the

Why is this not a problem with FreeBSD 2.2.8 on the exact same
machine and with the exact same pc cards?

> We had cli asm (disable interrupts) before calling APM BIOS call in
> FreeBSD 2.2.8, but this also seems to cause other problems and cli was
> deleted.

With 2.2.8 I had to delete the cli asm otherwise the machine would
not resume.  This is the exact same machine that now runs 3.4+PAO3.

> > Having to plug in and unplug cards all the time is inconvenient
> > and this interferes with testing of my network software.
>
> How about using apmd?  If pccardc power command can replace
> [un]plugging cards manualy then you can specify the procedures in
> /etc/apmd.conf.  This is for apm events like lid closing, not for zzz/apm -z
> though...

See my previous post.  Closing the lid is good enough for me.

	Wietse