Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:50:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compressed FS

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The BSD layering is such that the VM issues are, in some cases,
> hard to overcome (which is why union FS's currently don't work
> in the main line tree).  Any compression (or cryptographic) FS
> would face similar problems, since it would need to maintain
> seperate cache data for the uncompressed (or deencrypted) file
> blocks.

I see... But I had the impression that unions and portals work pretty well
under -current - I used them several times and they didn't burn the house
down :-)

Current's LINT file contains information about these FSs being broken. Is
it still true?

Sincerely yours,

---
Andrzej Bialecki                  FreeBSD: Turning PCs Into Workstations
<abial@warman.org.pl>             http://www.freebsd.org
Research and Academic Network in Poland