Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:33:16 -0700
From:      "Bennett Hui" <bhui@mail.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   customizing/configuring FreeBSD ports

Hi.

I am quite new to the FreeBSD OS although I've had some experience with
Linux.  The concept of application ports is convenient and elegant (very
nice!!).  However, I have two questions regarding customizing/configuring
the way a port is installed and I can't find the answer anywhere on any
FreeBSD website.  I was hoping you could help answer them.

1) How do I configure a FreeBSD port so that it has added configuration
options.  For example, if I wanted to add xml and mysql support for PHP 4 in
Linux, I would normally add --enable-xml and --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
to the command line when executing the 'configure' script.  How would I do
this to the mod_php4 port for FreeBSD?  Is it as simple as going into the
Makefile and append these configurations to the bottom of CONFIGURE_ARGS=?

2) How would I combine the configuration of ports that are similar but each
has different options configured in them.  For example, there are many ports
for Apache 1.3.12, each one with a different setup like Apache with jserve
or Apache with MS Frontpage extensions or Apache with SSL/TLS or Apache with
OpenSSL, etc.  How would I combine these so that I have only one port of
Apache 1.3.12 running on my machine but has (for example) SSL/TLS, jserve
AND MS Frontpage extensions all configured on it?  Do I run each port on top
of the other or is there a way to configure the Makefile or some other file
to make this work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Bennett Hui