Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:09:02 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Andy <seahorse51@attbi.com>
Cc:        Ivailo Tanusheff <i.tanusheff@procreditbank.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VPN Tunneling

--xe2geHXJg22At20M

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:37:30AM -0600, Andy wrote:
>=20
> >On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 01:49:51PM +0300, Ivailo Tanusheff wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm trying to make a VPN tunnel between a FreeBSD machine and a Win2K
> >Machine. My configuration is:
> >
> >{Net1} <---> <FreeBSD> <--...--> <Win2K> <---> {Net2}
> >
> >Win2k machine has dynamically assigned IP address as it's connecting to
> >public ISP. Can you help me build the tunnel?
>=20
> At 05:04 10/09/2002, Peter Pentchev wrote:
>=20
> >Take a look at the net/mpd port; it needs Netgraph either built into the
> >kernel, or loaded as a KLD.  Then, on the Win2K side, use the PPTP VPN
> >connections ('Connect to a private network through the Internet').
> >Things are *very* easy to set up, actually :)
> >
> >Drop me a private mail if you need some help, or we just might meet on
> >IRC :)
> >
> >G'luck,
> >Peter
>=20
> Will this method permit incoming connections from the out side Internet a=
nd=20
> then forward them to a box with an internal IP address on net1?  Where th=
e=20
> FreeBSD box is acting as a gateway/natd for the net1 internal network.

In this case, the FreeBSD box does not act as a gateway, merely as a
tunnel endpoint.  It may be otherwise configured to act as a NAT
gateway, but this is independend: this allows another FreeBSD or Win2K
or maybe even Linux box to establish a PPTP VPN tunnel, and perform
direct routing between net1 and net2.  Any machine within net1 will be
abel to reach net2 directly, and vice versa.

To let machines from the outside Internet -- not the other side of the
tunnel -- reach the inside boxes, you will need to set up some other NAT
mechanism, but, once again, this is entirely independent of mpd - mpd
will provide the VPN functionality regardless of whether the FreeBSD box
is also acting as a NAT gateway.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20