Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:19:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Rebuilding mail server

Dustin Puryear wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> Since you are already using Cyrus, and it doesn't require local
> accounts, can't you just write a quick module for Cyrus to
> interface with MySQL per your requirements? I am sure there are
> other solutions out there, but just curious why this hasn't been
> considered.

That has *definitely* been considered, and, for what it's worth,
that's where things are headed at the moment. I've already prototyped
pam_mysql.so with Cyrus, and have modified some existing scripts of
mine to change the way email users are added and removed from the
system. It appears to be working *very* smoothly on the PII-400 test
system... And it wasn't a difficult setup by any means. Performance
appears to be very good, but I'm still awaiting some load test results
(measure time taken to create several thousand accounts, determine
email throughput at various traffic levels, test login concurrency
limits, etc, etc, etc...)

I had considered running two mail systems anyway (one customer mail
server, and one internal staff server for employees and shared IMAP
folders), and I still might, for a combination of business/performance
reasons, but Cyrus DOES have some good features for customer email.
Namely, quotas, configurable mail check delay (set to 1 minute to
avoid the users who flood the server checking mail repeatedly), and a
Perl API to administer mailboxes. Not to mention the IMAP support
makes it work very well with IMP for web mail.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon