Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:05:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gziped executeables

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Žoršur Ivarsson wrote:

> I would like to make ALL binaries gziped on my system.

That unfortunately is not safe or possible.  You can get pretty close by
staying out of /bin, /sbin, and /stand and hitting /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and
so forth.  Just don't zip gzip or you'll be in a lot of trouble!

Note that this will really slow down your execution time since you're
running two programs every time you run one plus the time needed to
extract the binary.  If you have a big machine it may not be such a
problem.

> Is it possible when running make world or do I have to
> gzip each file individually.

You could write a shell script to do it fairly easily.  You'd have to ask
or read the Makefile so see if there is a mechanism to automatically zip
executables as they're installed.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo