Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 17:54:52 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor state of some top-level FTP mirrors

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:44:08AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>=20
> > I suspect you're wrong.  Can you provide supporting evidence?
>=20
> not really - i should try and go back to some logs we kept, but
> most of the evidence was anecdotal by asking on this list how
> package trees are maintained.

The major difficulty in "only updating packages that have changed" is
identifying those packages.  You can't compare the tarballs because
there are all sorts of embedded timestamps in the tarball (and in
files like lib*.a).  I tried doing this once and it didn't actually
provide much benefit for all the extra work it causes, because the
majority of packages do change from build to build (e.g. because of
updated dependencies, changes to the base system that change the
generated code, etc).

Of course, it's not fair to compare FreeBSD to an OS that almost never
updates their packages (like Redhat).  The only case you mentioned in
your other mail that might compare is Debian.  I'd need to have more
information about their update strategy to make informed comment.  I
suspect it might come down to either not having the ability to rebuild
their entire package tree more frequently (i.e. lack of build cluster
resources), or a more conservative policy of how they choose to update
packages.

Kris

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ--