Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:13:32 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible change to first page on site

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 11:31:27PM -0500, Malartre wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:

> > > Good idea.
> >
> > Getting FreeBSD sounds safer to me.
> >
> > First timers won't follow the link about installing. They think
> > download-then-install so it seems obvious to them that they have to
> > "get" it first, or at least check out where it is and how big the
> > freebsd.zip file is :-) Remove "get" and expect more of them to write
> > to -questions asking how to get it. Leave "Getting FreeBSD" there, and
> > we can trick some of them into actually going to the installation
> > instructions.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >         -*Sue*-
> Ok Sue, I'll follow that way: I have a demo of what it could be to
> really answer "damn, where do they hide freebsd.zip!".
> http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/var/
> http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/var/newbies/whatis.html
> http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/var/newbies/nozip.html
> The two first link in the FreeBSD! section are made by me, and are not
> perfect, but has I said, this is just a demo :-)

You have some good ideas there. I particularly like the "Quick Answers"
in whatis.html, but I fear that while they will make good sense to
microsoft refugees they will cause seasoned FreeBSD users to cringe :-)
I'd love to see something short, direct and windows-understandable
like this, close to the web site's entry point.

My other approach was to give the misunderstanding strays something
more readable that will keep everyone out of each other's hair long
enough to get a few things into perspective. Draft:
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/win.html

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-