Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:20:43 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>, FreeBSD-audit <FreeBSD-audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: use mkstemp(3) for sort

At 12:30 AM -0500 1/27/00, Mike Heffner wrote:
>This patch uses mkstemp(3), instead of a pid + sequence number
>(usually zero), for a tempfile name...reviewers?

For something like this, I sometimes wonder if it would be better
to have the program ('sort', in this case) to create a randomly-
named directory in /tmp, make sure that directory is owned by the
right user and is only readable by the user, and then create all
if it's temporary files inside of that directory.

While sort may "usually" only create one file, it's possible it
will have to create lots (hundreds?) of files.  If the above is
done, not only will the security issues be addressed, but we'll
have less locking and "general wear&tear" on the /tmp directory.

Does that sound like a reasonable/worthwhile strategy?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute