Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:06:05 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   atapi CD drive wedging

Hidy-ho, folks.

I've pawed through the mail archives, but didn't see any clear
pointers on this one, so here goes:

I have a NEC 272 CD ROM drive, that probes at boot, and works well.
But I've noticed two set of symptoms:

- my console gets clogged with '/kernel: wcd0: cannot read audio
  disc' messages.  What is directing the kernel to try, when I'm
  not running xcdplayer, or the like?

- Inevitably, I will see this after a couple of hours of using the drive:

  Jun  5 12:52:06 aobrien /kernel: atapi1.0: unknown phase
  Jun  5 12:52:06 aobrien /kernel: wcd0: i/o error, status=0, error=1<ili>

  after which the drive is not accessable via software, as the
  incurring process blocks forwever, and cannot be KILLed.

Is there a way of 'unwedging' the drive, so I can make further use
of it?

I suppose my biggest problem, is that this all begins a death
spiral, where suddenly various processes hang, so badly that I
cannot even log in remotely to straighten things out.

I've been using FreeBSD for a couple of years now, and this is the
first time I've had userland processes wedge a machine to the point
of forcing a complete restart.

Does anyone have any observations on this whole mess?

Thanks for your time...
--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert			          reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303