Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 14:45:26 +1200
From:      "Mark Ibell" <marki@paradise.net.nz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange 'dump' behaviour

Hi,

I've been playing with dump/restore a bit recently (on a 4.1-RELEASE system)
and found that if I do a level 0 dump of /, then add a couple of files, and
then perform a level 1 dump, most of the files in the level 0 dump are
present in addition to the new files. The commands I'm running are:

# dump -0au -b 10 -f /dev/nrsa0 /
# dump -1au -b 10 -f /dev/nrsa0 /

The same thing appears to happen on /usr & /var, but if I set up another
filesystem like /bkroot everything seems to work as expected. Any ideas why
this is happening?

Cheers,
Mark