Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:22:47 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
To:        Anonymous <swell.k@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] [sys/conf/newvers.sh] Cleanup and additions.

On 08/11/2010 08:20, Anonymous wrote:
> jhell <jhell@dataix.net> writes:
>
>> Based on the parts of the script with the additions for tracking source
>> using git(1) I set out to add support for mercurial hg(1) and ended up
>> cleaning some of the script while making some of those additions.
>
> FYI, some ports don't like unusual characters in uname(1), e.g. ports/148255.

Thank you for the heads-up.

I can adjust for that. This was original git code from newvers.sh that I
had let be what it is now and really holds no extra meaning to me unless
it does to someone else?.

Easy enough to change 137,13 to a space instead of equal sign.

Questionable whether the '+' sign at 143,14 would cause any problems so
I am testing that out now and will submit another followup patch.

Does not make any sense to me why a port would configure using (uname
-v) for identifying its environment. More specifically there should not
be anything more needed than the output of ( uname -rms ) and maybe on
occasion '-n' and __FreeBSD_version.

I have had thoughts before about a patch for uname that also outputs the
ABI or __FreeBSD_version but really don't see a need for that since it
can already be identified by kernel headers or through the use of
sysctl(8) or some system call.

Regards,

--

 jhell,v