Date:      Tue, 18 May 2010 15:12:46 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <d.forsyth@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: building apr1 fails

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 09:41:50 UTC 2010

Hi Mike

>Yes - the presence of 2.0 conflicts with 2.2 so it is necessary to
>remove first.

>> However, apr will not build, giving

>> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apr1.
>> ======================================
>>
>> I've tried a bunch of stuff, including rebuilding libtool22,
>> upgrading to python26 and a few other things I cannot recall now.
>>

>I have seen before reports concerning problems with building Apache
>utilizing the devel/apr port (the recommended default). Since the
>variables controlling the Apache version have changed over time you
>should look at your make.conf and ensure there is no left over cruft
>of the WITH_APACHE=xx or USE_APACHE=xx variety. In the beginning of
>the move towards 2.0 and the subsequent introduction of 2.2 it was
>necessary to set these, but that is no longer true.

I don't have anything like that set

> When you do 'make config' for the Apache build, deselect the
> 'APR_FROM_PORTS  "Use devel/apr (recommended)"' option. It is "ON" by
> default and is the recommended selection. It has some kind of
> problem and this error has been reported on these lists before.

> I just updated Apache to 2.2.15_5 yesterday and it builds fine when
> the above mentioned option is turned off.

Yes indeed, I upgraded the main server yesterday and it built fine
except for having to turn 'mod_ssl' off as it kept dying in the ssl
code.  I don't need ssl anyway.

However, today an update (cvsup) shows that that option has been
removed entirely, I have just searched the Makefile to confirm it,
also mentioned in UPDATING.
So now apache HAS to use devel/apr1 but apr1 will not compile with no
real clue as to why not.

I have just finished upgrading perl to 5.10.1, with a forced
recompile of everything that depends on it, and of course
apache22/apr still fails.

sigh.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research