Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 19:53:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jrs@CERF.NET (jrs)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on first time install and docs.

>     Either in the introduction information make this prominent, or in the
>     divvy (yes I know this is a SYSV prog) process place recommended sizes
>     in the info box of the dialog.

It is a SCO program actually. The problem is that the values to suggest
are heavily dependent on what will be installed onto the system.
Maybe first have the user select what should be installed (src, packages
Xfree, etc) before producing a 'suggested size' ?

> 5.  You get the option to install Kerbos and DES, but the software is not
>     on the CD and generates an error when selected to install.

Talk to the US government about this. :-(

>     On this same thought, it could be used to implement something similar
>     to the 'sysadmsh' found on SCO systems.  This again would make it much
>     more 'user friendly' for the novice UNIX person, while at the same time
>     providing a programmed interface to the systems configuration files.
>     How many people have edited a file in vi or some other editor and
>     mung'd (Mash Until No Good - old DEC term) a file and then had to
>     painstakingly rebuild?

All of this takes lots of (volunteer!) time. And it's not a rewarding
job either.... The idea is OK however.

> 9.  I realise that the user can go out and for $120 buy the O'Reilly
>     documentation set of books for 4.4BSD-Lite.  But what about the guy
>     that is on a limited budget?  Couldn't some HOW-TO's be written for
>     some of the more general things as in Linux?  Say for example, how
>     to setup the system for network connectivity, slip and/or ppp, etc.

This is exactly why the FreeBSD doc project was started. A number
of people are trying to get a more or less complete manual together
(among which your's truly)

Wilko