Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:35:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP + BP6 kernel issues

I've set up a 4.2-release system from the iso off of your ftp site. It's
installed on a BP6 with 2 Celeron 333s. I finally managed to get it
updated to 4.3-RC using one processor. But when I uncomment the 2 lines
relating to SMP in the kernel config and reboot I'm unable to boot off of
the SMP enable kernel. The error I get on boot looks like:

CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (unknow-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x665 Stepping = 5

Features=0x183fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
panic: CPU class not configured
mp_lock = 000000009; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000

This is the first time I've set up BSD on a dual proc system. All I've
done to my custom kernel is 'cp GENERIC WASHINGTON' then my beginning
lines are:
machine		i386
cpu		I586_CPU
ident		WASHINGTON

I then uncommented the two SMP specific lines, rebuilt the kernel, and
rebooted.

David
doc-WA_Resident@wcug.wwu.edu
doc@wcug.wwu.edu