Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:04:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: eclipse port (native)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:30:50 -0500 (EST)
> "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone working on a port of Eclipse[1]?  I am messing
> > around with it, and am getting close (I hope) to something
> > that runs.  I haven't really made it into a port yet, but
> > and keeping track of what needs to be done to build it.  I
> > have made a port that builds a native version of
> > libswt-gtk.  If anyone else is working on this, I'd like to
> > coordinate.
>
> I have it on my TODO list, but I wasn't able to clean it up to the point
> where Eclipse is on top... :-(
>
> It would be nice if you could make several ports, one for libswt, one
> for the eclipse-platform, eclipse-pdt, and one for the eclipse-jdt (or
> eclipse-cdt).
>
> BTW.: Which version are you porting?

I agree that it should be split into several (master/slave)
ports.  I initially wrote a libswt port, but then merged it
into my eclipse port.  I don't know where we would want to
install libswt as a standalone.  I think it would work to
put it in $PREFIX/lib, but eclipse looks all over the place
inside it's own tree for libs (according to truss) first.

There are two other libs used by the Linux GTK version:
libcore, libupdate.  I do not know if it would be useful
to build these standalone or not.

I am porting the Eclipse 2.1 M4 Linux GTK version.  The
Linux Motif version would probably be a simple port once
the GTK one is done.

I have a few other questions about this port...

What is the best way to do "do-install" for ports w/o their
own install target (currently using pinstall)?

Should I replace all instances of "Linux" with "FreeBSD"?

How do I use a patch-xy to patch a file with spaces in the
path?

-James