Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:43:19 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal auth and inetd don't seem to like each other

On 16 Sep 2000, at 13:34, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> It seems to work fine for me,

I think I know why now.

> Have you tried running inetd in debug mode, -d?

This tells me more.  I starte inetd like this:

[root@ducky:~] # inetd -d -wW -R 1024

Within the first dozen or so lines of output, I see this:

ADD : auth proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=root
group=(null)class=daemon builtin=0x80501f0 server=internal policy=""

It appears that inetd needs to be restarted to get the internal auth to
work.  A mere HUP won't work.

Thanks.

> > side note: from what I've seen of other working examples, I don't think
> > this will provide a working auth for boxes behind the fw/nat box (on
> > which the above was done).
>
> You are saying you will run this on the NAT box? It should work
> fine. Use '-d' or '-g' options for auth.

Yes, I will run this on the NAT box.  But it doesn't appear to achieve my
goals.  I was hoping for an auth which would work for IRC clients on
internal workstations with access through the firewall.  It's not.  But
perhaps my expectations aren't reasonable.

cheers
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/