Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:50:40 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Steve 1 <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Inactive Memory Creep

In active memory is "freeable" memory that FreeBSD keeps around "just in
case" it might be able to save it from having to reallocate it.  Basically
it's stuff that that's memory-mapped read-only and not currently used.  But
instead of fully freeing, FreeBSD figures its more efficient to keep it
around on a list.  It's the same as free memory for all practical purposes,
in that if there's no "free" memory, the inactive memory is used before
resorting to stealing buffers or using virtual memory.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org