Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:11:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        se@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, se@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt versions

 * I know some people just delete files that seem unnecessary whenever
 * they run out of disk space, and those people may consider "moc" a
 * waste of disk space (they remember to have never used it ;-) ...
 *
 * That would lead to spurious PRs about the port being broken, and the
 * poor port maintainer had to explain people they have to re-install Qt,
 * even though the KDE port they are trying to build seemed to have all
 * dependencies satisfied ...

Aw come on.  Hundreds of ports will break if people do that kind of
stuff.  Really, how many bogus reports have you gotten because people
deleted /usr/X11R6/bin/moc?

I think you're confused by the reports that had make trying to call
"/usr/bin/moc".  That was because of bugs in gcc installation (egcs or
gcc28) confusing the configure script, and has nothing to do with
/usr/X11R6/bin/moc disappearing.  (In particular, people with that
problem could not solve it by reinstalling qt.)

 * I'm all for a USE_QT as suggested by Satoshi (IIRC). That could imply

It was Andeas' idea, actually. :)

 * the build dependency, too, at negligible extra cost ;-)

I agree it's negligible, but IMO it's a step in the wrong direction.
The ports collection will quickly become unmanageable if we start
worrying about those things....

Satoshi