Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        stanb@panix.com, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Downgrading from 4,3 RC -> 4,2 ? How to.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Jason Andresen wrote:

> stanb@panix.com wrote:
> >
> > OK, I give uo, I absolutely have to get some real work done, and no one
> > seems to beable to offer any useful advice as to why my laptop insists on
> > reasigning previously used IRQ 10 to cards n slot 0.
> >
> > So, I need to downgrade to 4.2 which at least wroks.
> >
> > Here is the scenario. I have a level 0 backup of all partitions pre backup,
> > but it's on an Amanda server, that I can only reach over the network, catch
> > 22 I can't make the network work now. I don't have 4.3 CD's, since my
> > subscription got **d up by the new company, and I never recieved the,
> >
> > I do have 4.2 CD's.
> >
> > How can I get out of this mess?
>
> You can't just wipe the 4.3 install, use your 4.2 CD to do a Fresh
> install, get
> the network working (I'm assuming the network isn't working because of
> the IRQ
> issue), and dump your backups onto the fresh 4.2 install?
>
> It's not a pretty solution, but it should get you working again.

Since this is a "last resort" solution, you might experiment with
some alternatives.

1) The second CD-ROM, the live file system.  Copy from it to your
existing system what you need--especially the kernel, /bin, and so
forth.  Delete files on the existing system newer than the ones
installed.  This will preserve your /etc directory.  Reboot.  If
it fails, go to last resort.

2) The installation CD-ROM.  Mount the CD and invoke install.sh in
each of the distribution subdirectories (like /bin etc.).  I think
the bin distro installs a new kernel and also will overwrite /etc
(you can of course back of /etc to ~/etc to preserve it for easy
reinstallation first).  Especially important would be /etc/fstab
and anything else in /etc that was customized as a consequence of
the installation process.  You probably don't have to reinstall a
lot of the distros, e.g., docs, proflibs, info.

	Annelise