Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:23:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp with a null-modem cable

I am trying to get connectivity between two machines using the serial
ports and a null-modem cable.  I know the cable works because I can start
tip or kermit on both machines and send characters back and forth.

I've tried using the direct-server and direct-client samples that are
given in /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample, with no luck.  I've
tried using pppd with settings given in the handbook, but I get errors
such as "Connection not open" from kermit.  I've also tried configuring a
slip connection with no success.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before?  What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.