Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:52:35 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient and resolv.conf.sav

Hello,

we have been bitten by something that obvoiusly
is a feature, not a bug, but I do not quite understand
the intentions and reasoning behind it.

I have a host with manual interface and resolver configuration
and an additional interface that should get it's IP address
via DHCP. But only it's IP address and netmask, nothing else.

The DHCP server used hands out only IP addresses/netmasks,
no domain-name-servers, domain-name, etc. configured.

Yet, if there happens to exist a /etc/resolv.conf.sav file,
every renewal of the lease by dhclient overwrites the contents
of /etc/resolv.conf with those of resolv.conf.sav.

In my particular case the .sav file contained an internal
nameserver that was used when I initially set up the host
in the lab. This entry was of no use to the server after
it had been deployed in our datacenter.

Can anyone shed some light on the intended mechanism?
Studying the dhclient-script was not too helpful, either.

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100