Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 1997 22:36:08 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        "Peter M. Chen" <pmchen@eecs.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: writing to kernel global variables with gdb

"Peter M. Chen" writes:
>Hi Gary,
>  Joerg referred me to you as the maintainer for kgdb.  I am using
>"gdb -w -k kernel.debug /dev/mem" to try to change a global variable on a
>running kernel (which Joerg thought should work), but I get
>"kvm_write:write failed".  This is true even when I run as root.
>
>  Any ideas?

it turns out that there's already a "w" option ("use windows")
defined in main.c. There's no code which makes use of it.

If you start gdb with -wcore, then you can write OK.

The "w" window option isn't documented with the --help flag.
But then again, the "w" make core writable option isn't either,
although wcore does show up in the list.

Perhaps it would be better to use "-wk" for "writable kernel" (that's
sort of mnemonic) in place of "-w". Any opinions ?

Guess this should really be documented somewhere.

This affects both -current and 2.2.1R :( I'm forwarding this
to both the current and questions mail lists, since it's (IMO)
of general interest.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de