Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:46:27 -0600
From:      Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

I've submitted a PR for this: misc/50299 documenting the RFC
mis-following (is that a word?) as well as a patch for res_comp.c.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:07:24 -0600
> > From: David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 05:03  AM, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > > It's probably not very useful to talk about doing this until
> > > local caching-only name servers on border servers are capable
> > > of handling the 8-bit, as well.  For the RFC's that FreeBSD
> > > currently complies with, it's right to be strict about this.
> >
> > I think this is the wrong approach to take with this problem.
> > Linux, Windows, and Solaris do not enforce this restriction.  If
> > RFC 952 is being thrown out the window, then why should FreeBSD
> > continue to enforce this restriction?  At the moment, the
> > problems I am seeing have little to do with 8-bit data but
> > characters outside of the what RFC 952 allows.
>
> It should be noted that this limitation was in RFC952 which is not a DNS
> specification. See RFC2181. I think our implementation is simply
> broken.
>
>    The DNS itself places only one restriction on the particular labels
>    that can be used to identify resource records.  That one restriction
>    relates to the length of the label and the full name.
>    [...]
>    Those restrictions
>    aside, any binary string whatever can be used as the label of any
>    resource record.  Similarly, any binary string can serve as the value
>    of any record that includes a domain name as some or all of its value
>    (SOA, NS, MX, PTR, CNAME, and any others that may be added).
>    Implementations of the DNS protocols must not place any restrictions
>    on the labels that can be used.  In particular, DNS servers must not
>    refuse to serve a zone because it contains labels that might not be
>    acceptable to some DNS client programs.  A DNS server may be
>    configurable to issue warnings when loading, or even to refuse to
>    load, a primary zone containing labels that might be considered
>    questionable, however this should not happen by default.
>
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Marius Strom           | Always carry a short length of fibre-optic cable.
Professional Geek      | If you get lost, then you can drop it on the
System/Network Admin   | ground, wait 10 minutes, and ask the backhoe
http://www.marius.org/ | operator how to get back to civilization.