Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:15:33 +1100
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pathetic 11 kbytes/s with ed driver (Netgear EA201)

> Are you sure that this card supports full-duplex?

I have set it to full-duplex using the DOS program which said
I could, so I would assume so.

> If you are plugged into a 10Base-T hub (and not a switch), your MUST
> run half-duplex.

There's the problem then. I do have a 10BaseT hub.

> What does ifconfig ed0 show?

$ ifconfig ed0
ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.128.32 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.128.255
        ether 00:40:05:a2:15:fc

You can't set the duplex within FreeBSD anyway. You must
use the DOS configuration program.

> > One question? Is the iomem used? There is no way to set this
> > that I saw with the Netgear DOS configuration program. I read
> > somewhere that if the shared memory is not properly set up
> > then it can cause troubles, but I don't know whether shared
> > memory is set with the iomem setting.
>
> It is used and should be OK as the ORM device should prevent it from
> overlapping with anything else.

So that's what orm0 does!!

> ...Removed very useful info....
>
> This only confirms that you are running full-duplex. In full-duplex
> there are no collisions because that is what full-duplex really
> means. Don't detect collisions and don't wait for the media to be free
> before transmission.
>
> Make sure that ALL devices connected to a 10Base-T hub are set to
> half-duplex.

The box running as my router does report collisions on the card
plugged into the hub:

5>xxxxx@router:~$ netstat -in vr0
Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
vr0   1500  <Link#2>    00:80:c8:d9:ff:0e   353047     0   510083     0 292108
vr0   1500  192.168.128   192.168.128.1     340984     -   499161     -     -

so it must auto-setup properly.

Unfortunately I will have to manually pull the ed card and
and put it in a box with a monitor to set it to half-duplex
using the DOS program.

A while ago there was a long thread on half-duplex / duplex /
auto versus manual settings and so forth. I should have read it
more carefully. A good book might help too. Can you recommend one?

Another question if you don't mind. I set the box up at home
on my hub-based network (I took it home over the holidays), but it
will be used at work on a switch-based network when I'm done.
Will leaving it at half-duplex have any adverse implications on
the work network when I bring it in and put it on the switch?
I suppose I can set it up as full-duplex again before I come
back in, so this question is more academic than practical.

> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

I worked at LBNL for a few years down the hill from you
at the 88-inch cyclotron and came back home to Australia only
a year ago. I used to take groups on tours around ESnet so I
have probably seen you behind the glass wall or perhaps even
met you. My first BSD install was an NFS install off one of
the LBL netapps!

Anyway, it seems likely this will solve the problem. Thanks for
your help and I will report back.

Greg